Philmon, Singapore.
He had discovered Time and Death and God.

Recent Posts.
Gotta love'em.
Nice Pictures, One.
Hendrix Imposter.
Kayu!
R. I. P IRWIN.
Musical Musings.

Hippos.
Alas, War.
Music aboard the train is Wrong.


We Say Trendkill.

Enshrined


Cast Down the Heretics.
  • Precious
  • 05A23
  • Bernadette
  • Cubicbottle
  • Dinie
  • Eshwinder
  • Jeffree
  • Juliano
  • Kader
  • Kimberly
  • Mak
  • Nadia
  • Nurul
  • Pei Yi
  • Shu Chen
  • Selene
  • Serina
  • SiewBoon
  • Yu Jun
  • Zira
  • Zi Yang

  • And the Slaves Shall Serve.
  • Harmony Central
  • The Gearpage
  • Football365
  • Manchester
  • Ibreathemusic
  • Guitarknowledgenet
  • Cyberfret
  • Ultimate
  • Freelicks
  • Farhat
  • Superfrets
  • Musictheory
  • Wholenote
  • Ibanezrules
  • Jemsite
  • ProjectG
  • Backing
  • Luther's
  • S.O.F.T
  • Tonefactor
  • Mr.Yong

  • Fly on, little wing.


    Friday, September 22, 2006
    David Gemmell.

    Mr. David Gemmell passed away in July this year due to heart problems. He was only 57. It took me 2 whole months to realise my hero's dead.

    In my 18 odd years of existence, I have read many books from many authors of differing genres. And to date, I have never encountered another writer that even comes close to matching Gemmell's finesse and greatness.

    Gemmell primarily writes heroic fantasies.
    His phenomenal talent of sculpting a story so intricate, impactful and indelible continues to astonish and entertain readers worldwide.

    I have read almost all of his books which number to around 30 titles. And I also own a few of these Gemmell masterpieces.
    My personal favourite has to be 'White Wolf', of which I have re-read 3 times.




    The first novel of his that I read, 6 years ago, was 'Sword in the Storm'.


    I chanced upon it in the library around 6 years ago, and was utterly mesmerised by his awesome story-telling.
    In the subsequent months, I embarked on an island-wide search in public libraries for Gemmell titles. And of those that I could not locate, I purchased them from various bookstores.

    I remember recounting how fantastic and exciting the books were in my Sec 1 'Journal'. My enthused ramblings were not exactly responded in kind by my form-teacher. Pity her soul and taste.

    You know, his books are really something.
    Gemmell's books make me feel pensive, and I am often unknowingly coaxed into pondering about life and its involutions.
    His books transport me to an elaborate world of wonders. Where I can empathise with the characters; where I rage as they rage and grieve as they grieve.
    I am by the characters' side as they do battle;
    I hear the jarring clash of cold steel.
    I feel the deadly swishing of sharp blades.
    I see the splurting of blood and innards tumbling grotesquely out of a slashed abdomen.
    I smell the putrid stench of death and destruction.

    I taste the fear, violence and irrationality in the air.

    All at once, I am a tactician, hatching cunning ploys and devising adroit tactics to ensnare the hated enemies.
    I am an army general, in my rusted armour, on my mount, mingling with my men, them battle-hardened and fiercely loyal soldiers.
    I am a proud warrior, charging fearlessly alongside my comrades, ready to send them malefic legions of darkness back to the abyss.
    I am also a peasant, fearful of my life, and that of my family's. And am struggling desperately to ensure their safety among these war-torn lands.
    All at once, I am a powerful mage, wielding potent spells, mouthing ancient curses, invoking the fearsome demons of the underworld.


    Through his books, I stand witness to the characters' abject defeats and soaring triumphs, their delight and sorrow.
    From the comfort of my bed, I watch the rise and fall of herculean nations.

    They are so much more than just mere books, so infinitely more than just pieces of paper bound together.
    These books are gifts. They inspire me to write, and to live my life fearlessly and with honour.

    It saddens me immensely to know that I can never again look forward to new material from Gemmell's fertile imagination and accomplished hand.
    But at least I am glad that in my lifetime I experienced the magic of Mr. David Gemmell.

    Mr. Gemmell will always retain my richest respect.
    He has made an impact in my life through your masterpieces. I feel almost like an old friend of his, having so deeply connected with his words, stories and ideas.

    Do rest in eternal peace.



    I do hope that I have managed to convey how sublime David Gemmell is in his writing. Words fail me throughly, to wholesomely do justice to his shining, towering magnificence.










    'Troy: Lord of the Silver Bow' is the latest of Gemmell's work that I own. It was given to me by my Sharifah last year. One truly cannot ask for a better gift.

    Posted at 7:58 pm